Wednesday 5 July 2017

Poetic Shapes

Today we looked at poetry created in a shape that reflects what the poem is about - or vice versa. Here's a couple of examples, two in shapes and one that unraveled along the way.



A CIRCLE OF FRIENDS



A
circle
of friends
inside the triangle
of life, to make light
in the darkness, to make
sense of the unknown future


- Robert 



FUN IN A BOX


Ukulele
Ukule
Uku
Twang
My dog
has fleas
Strung
Strings
Strain
Across
the bridge
Words float from
my lips. Patterns of
sound bounce, jump
jangle, jiggle. It's a 
bit of a giggle. 
Fun in a box. 
Fobbed off on kids. 
Left in a toy cupboard with 
broken strings. Or crafted and
 cared for and played with a 
passion accompanied by a 
go-go dancer in drag. Make 
it what you will. Give it 
love and it will 
sing.


- Paul Smith



WINGS

My mother told me I was born with wings,
tucked neatly behind my back.
To this day the most beautiful words she ever spoke to me.
She told me I was an angel,
yet my wings had to be clipped away to enter into this world.

My upbringing, each day I would shed some of my feathers.
With each adverse experience I became more damaged - more ragged.

The other day, gazing up at the sky,
I locked my eyes on a few soaring birds,
I want to tell them how beautiful they are when they spread their wings.

I want to tell myself that it is time to spread my wings too.

- Eleanor Harrison

"No bird soars too high, if he soars with his own wings"

- William Blake

No comments:

Post a Comment

Zen & the Art of Lawn Mowing

'Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance' was a hallowed book in the 1970's counter-culture scene.  Perhaps not the easiest bo...