Monday 23 September 2019

Creative well-being

At today's session we focussed on well-being, firstly using the theme of Mental Health Awareness Week (23-29 Sept) as a prompt - Explore your way to wellbeing. After our first effort we looked at a collaborative exhibition in Wellington called 'Get a head, Get a hat' which is a different take on an old 1940s advertising slogan ' Get a hat, Get ahead'. Apparently if you want to make progress in life you need to get a hat and hats were everywhere in those days! Instead the creative spaces undertaking this project want us to think about getting into a good head space as a way of making progress in life, hence 'Get a head, Get a hat'.




PLAYGROUND OF WELLNESS

A seesaw movement of mood
exaggerated at both ends
forcing me to hold on so hard
that it is the only reason
I don't fall off

If I could find a way to navigate
the playground of wellness
I must first experience everything
the playground has to offer

Ups, downs and psychosis
must first be experienced before
taking the model railway to wellness
The seats are small and I'm
afraid I might fall off

Taking the first step away
from the playground
I make it to the meadow
of well-being

It is an affirmative step
that I must consciously make.
Do I hide in the shadows
of this playground?
Or do I decisively walk away?

- M.F.



DIVE RIGHT IN

The words flow from the pen
slowly viscous like honey from a spoon
Wanting to taste and feel and hear and see
A feast for the senses

If only I could become a part of it
Just dive right in
Immersing myself in the poem
and having it cling to me

A barrier against illiteracy
A protective education
If I can express myself in
as few words as possible
I will be happy

- M.F.



QUESTIONS TO PONDER

What is more important?
What goes on it?
or what is in it?
A head is not just a shape
an object
for hats and glasses to perch upon.
A head is full of thoughts
and ideas
useful and destructive
helpful and not so.
Full of memories
which do we value and treasure?
the successes?
or the failures?
Why do some
remind themselves of their failures?
while others can hold onto their successes?
A head needs to be maintained
and cultivated
so it can be productive
and grow the best crop possible.

- Christine Philp




A HAT, BEING WELL

If well being was a hat
it would be well fitting

A good fit doesn’t slip
holds tight in the wind
adjusts to a preferred angle
It keeps off the rain
and the burning sun
shading the eyes so
Life’s detail is clearly seen

This Well Being Hat is So Cool!
It struts down the street
saying “Look at me;  I am OK”
It lifts in cordial greetings to friends,
and at days’ end it flies buoyantly
through the air, to land on the bed

- Kate Jenkins




CONTENT TO SEE

A kitten runs curiously from box to bag
a child escapes outdoors
to a garden playground of thought and task
the teenager runs, and shouts to the hills
and an OE generation boards a plane

I walk slower now, content to see
the many things I raced past in youth
but longing still for the resounding silence of the mountains
augmented by the trill of a lone bird
as clear splashing water explores the rocks
in its downhill rush between tussocks and rare alpine herbs
to join a beech hidden river
a boulder gorge, a tight high waterfall
then the fast meandering of reed coated flats

Content with memory I find
my eyes more active
seeing in detail one path on the road from home
my neighbours’ garden
and a baby tūī going joyous on flax

- Kate Jenkins





EXPLORATION

Wellbeing
Sits waiting
Patiently
Wondering
Where you've gone
Knowing
Having faith
That you will find 
Your own way back
To how things 
Were
Before
Things 
Happened

 - Pauline




BUYING A HAT

Buying a hat
One would think
Would be unimportant
If one had no head

A hat
Bobbing about 
No nose
No eyes
No mouth
No ruffled hair 
Blowing in the 
Wind
No smile
No angry glare
No tears
No fearful glance
A covering only
Sitting on shoulders
Empty

 - Pauline




No comments:

Post a Comment

Zen & the Art of Lawn Mowing

'Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance' was a hallowed book in the 1970's counter-culture scene.  Perhaps not the easiest bo...